Saturday, January 31, 2009

Telenovelas

This is my first blogging experience so here I go. The topic I have chosen is telenovelas. First off let me translate. Tele- is short for television in Spanish and Novelas are stories which put together means TV stories or as we call them in English, Soap Operas. I chosen Spanish Soap operas for many reasons but the most obvious would be that this is my ultimate goal ; to act in many novelas. There is much more to Spanish soaps then the generalizations and false accusations that come with the term soap opera. I strongly feel that novelas are for everyone and I hope to inspire others to watch a novela or two and see why I became so fixated. So why novelas. First off for those who take an interest in learning Spanish without having to spend money on it novelas are a great start. They acted in such a way that one who many no little to no Spanish can catch onto what is going on. The actors speak Spanish so fluidly and clearly that it is also easier for people to pick out the words they know and use context clues to comprehend what is taking place. A fun fact to know is that novelas are not only for Latin Americans. Great novelas are played all over the world from Asia to Europe. Many of whom do not have Spanish as their native language and most of which now very little Spanish if and at all. However, for novelas language holds no barriers. I have already met many people from other countries that have expressed their love for Spanish soaps when they played in their original country. When I worked at a dance studio I had a very long talk with a woman from Brazil who told me that novelas are a HUGE market in that country. Then a more recent experience was a week ago when I was talking to a bartender that works with me. I was explaining to her that I was going to school to learn how to act so that i can audtion for a school that is strictly for novelas( I will explain later). The bartender was from Russia and she told me how she would always watch a specific novela everyday and that she could not understand what they were saying but she slowly started to catch on through the actors expressions. She said that in her country the Spanish soaps had subtitles and that they were VERY popular. SO you see novelas are not for Latinos only but can be enjoyed and shared by every ethnicity. Well I think i will stop there for tonight so that I can leave you intrigued for my next blog where I will explain some recent novelas that I have already seen and am currently watching. I will leave you with this..Take sometime and watch a episode of a GOOD Spanish soap because I must be honest and say there are many cliche’ soaps that are a bit corny but some others are heartwarming,breathtaking and just plain beautiful. If you want to get some idea go to univision channel 10 and see a lte night novela those are the prime time ones. from 6-9. The first one is called Cuidado con el angel(be careful with the angel) and my favorite right now that starts at 8pm (the BEST of the BEST novelas are at that time) is called Fuego En La Sangre(Fire in the blood)…until next time

Here is just something fun...The next blog I write will be talking about this telenovela that is also shown in the pic at the top of my blog. If you want here is the link to see the intro to it so you can see how much you understand or see what you think this novela is about :-) ...The novela is called destilando amor Have FUN!!! The link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABnXAFXnYw

1 comment:

  1. I remember when i was a little kid, i used to stay up late to watch telenovelas. Even though i didn't know what was going on half the time it was fun just to watch them because the actors really do get into their characters specially the evil ones like the madrastra from Maria la del Barrio with Thalia. I remember having nightmares : ).... I like how you say that telenovelas reach a lot of people, and i have to agree with that too. I have this japanese friend who always asks me about Maria la del barrio or maria mercedes... It just amazes me how a telenovela can reach anybody.... now days televisa and Tv Azteca make telenovelas that are made for kids... they are not as intense as the regular ones but they are rather funny and playful.... i dont know if you remember and old telenovela call Carrucel de las Americas it was a great hit when i was in elementary school...
    ooh by the way Destilando Amor is one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete