Thursday, February 12, 2009

The talent of success

The question is how my talent inspired me but truth be told I have never formally acted! I had originally wanted to become a criminal justice lawyer due to my great argumentative abilities and passion to help others. I had this dream and was set an achieving it throughout all my adolescent school years. It later progressed as I got into high school because not only did I want to argue but I wanted to be important. I wanted to have the power to help people in a greater quantity. I wanted to be in the government. So I decided that I would start as a lawyer to make connections and then run for the senate. This was an honorable job with a great deal of importance and power. It was not until I graduated from high school and took my first full time job at Fred Astaire Franchised Dance Studios did my career path take a huge right turn (Pun intended). I had originally had my heart set on getting my law degree at DePaul, that is until I took what I thought would be a summer job at FADS. After a month of working with them the management of FADS convinced me that dancing was my forte and a career in itself with the profit equal to if not more than that of any lawyer or doctor for that matter. They told me that the business was promising and was helping people by giving them a lifelong skill that can instantly make them happier, healthier individuals. I saw and heard of all the accomplishments many of the FAD employees have made from owning their own studios, being on dancing with the stars and dancing with celebrities, opening up their own studios, traveling the world, winning world dancing titles..The opportunities were endless and to think I could do ALL of that with something I had loved all my life but suppressed for a more powerful, acceptable position. I decided to do what I do best, be spontaneous and take a risk. So I withdrew my enrollment at DePaul and took on this new exciting career. I was doing well! I caught on to all 13 of the ballroom dances. I learned all the male and female parts of the first 10 steps of each dance. I even tested out of my bronze and got my dancing certification. I had a fellow employee be my partner both learning from square one since he was a baseball player before he went ballroom. We got first in our national novice professional competition. I was teaching a lot and I even dated my manager who later was not my manager...another story. To sum it all up after a year everything fell apart at my studio, no money was being made, pressure was enforced to push students into paying large sums of money, I broke off my partnership because he was a mess, Me and my ex-manager broke up (he cheated), and the only thing keeping me there was my love for my students. Finally, however, I snapped. I could no longer sit in an empty studio listening to lies of success that was one sided. I felt claustrophobic and not to mention broken hearted. I could no longer justify my losing out on education for a career my heart was not fully set on. Needless to say I quit. However, I was not discouraged but enlightened. I felt like I had my freedom back and I saw with clarity for the first time in my life where my passion lies. It was not the stress, the arguments, the powerful status that motivated me but it was the arts. It was the emotional power and undeniable magnetism of the arts. Not just any art but acting. DUH! I was so blind for I had always loved to act. Even when I was little putting on shows for my daycare. It was a perfect job for me because it incorporated every profession. I could be a lawyer, a doctor, or even a senator. I would be able to fall in love so many times over, which would be perfect to tame the hopeless romantic in me. I would be able to affect and touch people. I could do all of that in one profession; acting. I was not so far from this idea with my dance ability for I was already playing in the arts only now I have a clear idea of what I want. I then thought about how much impact watching Spanish soaps had on me and I realized THATS IT. I have always been the only one out of my 3 other sister who had a strong passion for Latin culture. I would constantly speak in Spanish with my grandmother and learn from her. I always go out to Latin clubs and dance salsa, bachata, merengue, etc.. I would sit every night and watch the next chapter of my Spanish soap opera and then watch the actors in interviews interacting with all of their fans. It was then in that moment when I really felt complete. I had imagined myself as an actress in one of those great soaps instilling my every emotion to all who were watching. I could feel the extreme happiness of being in that profession. I knew this feeling was unlike any and all of my other ideas for the future for this dream had substance, it had heart. My talent of acting is very little but my passion for love and for people is immense. My people skills and understanding relationships are strong. I have the great ability to see things from other people’s point of view. Most of all I have a strong will and have the desire to work hard to obtain my dreams transforming them into realities. Acting is not a job to me but it’s part of who I am. . I know I can succeed. It is said that Success is the Courage to meet failure without being defeated. I may not have the formal training but I have courage!

1 comment:

  1. Intense! Passionate! Romantic! I love it, ummm theres my comment...

    Ok for my failing grade's sake, and the fact you deserve an audience, my small commentary. Your title manages to tie your journey to your current calling in life amazingly. So much talent has been gained through your life. Focusing on a white clollared job, and looking for that acceptance in society of helping the people. Then total flip-flop to your artistic point of view in the world begins you on this next chapter of dance. SHOCKING! You went all out put heart mind and spirit into making your new dream come true. Why? I believe you wanted to prove that dance is just as if not more important than your childhood dream. You say "Needless to say I quit.", but i dont see a quiter. I see a passionate artist that wanted to share her love with the world, but the world isnt use to so much love. I am sorry that you were let down, but this next part excites me even more. With all the ambition, courage, and effort you put into dance; i cant wait to see what latin soaps bring you. It is this passion that drives you, but it is the experience that will truly help you succeed. "What doesnt kill us truly makes us stronger"

    ReplyDelete